Thursday, October 4, 2012

Living with a moody child

I am a pretty even keeled,mild mannered person. I would not consider myself someone with a short fuse. Sure I get frustrated and have off days but generally speaking I am not moody nor am I negative ( usually). Liv has been diagnosed with a mood disorder and takes abilify.  I wish I could really put into words what that is like to live with a child who suffers from a mood disorder. This is way beyond a child who is just cantankerous, or age appropriately mad about something.

It will be like a dark cloud of negativity overcomes her " I wish I as never born, see this is why I told you this is the worst day ever, so now you hate me huh?, I hate my life, so everything's my fault, huh?". As a genuinely positive polly anna esque law of attraction person, this drives me crazy. It is as if while in these funks she believes the worst about life on the other hand when they pass she is the happiest, sunniest, sweetest girl you can ever meet. 


I know she can't help it.. I have taught her all my metaphysical tricks " clicking her fingers and saying  delete, delete, delete when she thinks a negative thought"... phrasing things like " wouldn't it be nice if Emily can come over after homework, rather than... I bet you won't allow me to have Emily over"... and this has helped a little. She has days where she really struggles and sometimes there is nothing i can do, say or try... we just have to let it pass.

as Liv's Mom, all I want to do is make things better. No seven year old child should have such negativity in her little head. 




3 comments:

  1. Lauri- I thought I commented on this last night- am I losing it?

    ~Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet-

    this is cross posted... you commented on my post on leap of faith... thanks btw.. for the advice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I actually figured that out after I posted this. So glad I'm not losing it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment