Monday, September 2, 2013

Protien shakes Q&A

Hi Lauri! I finally got the protein powder to try some of your smoothies. What type of pudding mix are you using? Do you ever make a double batch so you can have some ready for the next day or do they not store well? Thanks for the fitness and diet inspiration! As a fellow adoptive parent I started with your blog with Liv and now read this one too! Britt

Britt,

I just use jello or generic brand regular INSTANT pudding mix and add about a tablespoon... its like 25 calories extra but really gives the smoothie some body and makes it taste decadent. I probably should try sugar free jello but I really try to avoid artificial sweeteners. I like to use Vanilla, Banana or chocolate.


My fav tip- Just adding a tablespoon of unsweetened baking cocoa makes any smoothie chocolate... that way you can just buy vanilla as your base and make a number of different varieties. I have a bag of blueberry's, strawberry's, pumpkin and bananas in the freezer all ready to go so making one in the morning just takes minutes. I have found that using plain almond milk cuts the sugar quite a bit. I was buying the " vanilla" almond milk. My almond milk has 60 calories but my friend uses a type that is only 30 calories... so I will have to look for that. I have also started adding flax. I don't make any in bulk... not sure it would keep... let me know if you have luck with that...I think it would get watery but I am not sure.


what brand of protein powder did you get?

I have tried EAS brand chocolate, muscle milk banana creme, Vanilla Shakeology and 1 step wellness chocolate and French vanilla....

Shakeology is crazy expensive and there is so much hype around it..I tasted wheat grass in this and it was not a fav.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info.! I got the 1st step French vanilla from Walgreens that you had mentioned. It was even on sale! I tried one yesterday and it was really good, even my 9yo liked it. I didn't have any of the cooca powdwer so I will have to try it with that next. I also need to get a supply of frozen fruit on hand. Do you ever use regular milk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to use 1% milk all the time.... some people use plain old water too or even juice... its all good

    if you like peanut butter PB2 powder tastes really yummy mixed in

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like regular milk by my daughter doesn't care for the taste of milk so maybe I'll try some of the almond milk. she was lactose intolerant in Russia so she came to us on soy products, but we switched her over to cows milk at around 2.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment