Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My root canal experience

I was really upset to hear that I needed a root canal. Once I wrapped my head around the idea that yeah I had a cavity.. my first in nearly 20 years...a really big cavity. I started to prepare for the process.. the most feared dental procedure. I even got a second opinion and found a new dentist. I asked around and most people told me that I had nothing to worry about. I googled it, which was a mistake. It was hard for me to face putting myself through pain when I was not in pain.. tooth 29 was not bothering me at all. It was a smart preventive step to save the tooth. Waiting until I was in pain was not a wise choice. I knew in my gut that I had to do this.

I opted to go for the laughing gas although many people told me that I would not need it, while others highly recommended it. The minute I sat in that chair I felt like crying... I don't know why.. pent up nerves. Everything is hard wired to my tear ducts. I am one of those people who cry when frustrated or angry. He gave me a topical and then a shot or six of Novocaine. That hurt. I was going to try to tough it out, but decided after the Novocaine to go for the gas and I am so glad I did. Money well spent. I know myself and I know that the dental dam  in particular would have freaked me out sans laughing gas.


The process took 1.5 hours.  The laughing gas made it go by much quicker. The doc asked me to let him know if the gas felt like it was too much. I told him that I had never had it and did not know what to compare it too.  He said some people feel panicky. At first I just felt very tingly and so heavy, not a care in the world. I felt so heavy that it was difficult to raise my hand to let him know if I was in pain. Then my chest felt very heavy and i could not feel  myself breath, I felt that slight panic feeling he spoke of and let him know.. he lowered it and then I felt better but more aware of everything.. too aware. I wanted it raised slightly. Eventually they found a happy medium with the Gas, i was aware of what was going on, heard everything, but mostly zoned out. That laughing gas is some good stuff. He tells me I won't need it at the next visit... darn.


I mostly just felt pressure and a little pain. The placement & removal of the dental dam clamp was the hardest part for me.. it really hurt my gums. The x-ray hurt too. I have a very small mouth and they always scratch my mouth when inserting the tool into my mouth. Today I have a tender mouth, jaw and a sore tooth... which is to be expected. I go back in 2 weeks to remove the temporary filling and do the buildup. We are going to try to hold off on the crown until we can pay off this bill.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment