Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sauce

My 1st attempt at making homemade sauce last year was a disaster.. I was using regular old slicing tomatoes and the sauce was watery.  The end result was not worth all the effort. This year I grew Roma tomatoes and I had a bounty of them. The lady who sold me the plant said that were San Marzano?? not sure about that. This sauce turned out much better. I roughly followed this recipe. I did use basil  enhanced evoo, onion, garlic, ground beef, green peppers and a bay leaf in addition to the other spices.. I also added a little sugar... because I thought I was supposed to. but after doing some web research.. I see this is a highly debatable move.

This will be my splurge dinner of the week, over some gourmet tagliatelle our new neighbors just gave us in a gift basket for allowing them to take down our fence( long story)


I grew up eating out of the Jar sauce.... this sauce was worth the effort.

Do you have a tried & true sauce recipe? 



3 comments:

  1. Hi Lauri
    I love your new blog
    Great job at trying your first sugo (sauce) I'm Italian!
    Never use sugar ! No green pepper either . You can use crushed tomatoes Itiann brand in off season months
    I will give you my Nonnaa recipe
    In pot brown your ground beef , add a little salt .
    Drain when brown
    In pot add olive oil , add garlic (fresh) and chopped onion . Sautée ...add ground beef, crushed tomatoes , salt , oregano, a few springs, fresh basil leaves and 1 bay leaf .

    Cook for an hour . For a thicker sauce remove lid .
    When you add sugo to your pasta too with a few more fresh basil leaves ...enjoy .
    Recipe straight from Itaky ...buona appetite
    Ps don't forget to top with grated parmigianao
    Enjoy
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia,
    Thanks for sharing your Nonna's recipe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment