Friday, August 31, 2012

Toothy concerns

 This time last year my newish dentist told me I had a cavity between my teeth and when I asked how he was going to fix that, he said he did not know until he got in there. That made me very nervous. I am a planner and like knowing whats going to happen. Once I can wrap my head around something, I can deal with it.

Fast forward to the Tarot reader and she mentions that I need to see a dentist and will have some work done. Funny she mentioned that as I had been having a nagging feeling that I needed to get my tooth looked at, but I wanted a second opinion.  So I was asking around for a dentist recommendation. I just did not trust that initial dentist, however I loved his assistant who cleaned my teeth


The same day I was told by the Tarot reader to go to the dentist, I went to a health fair and met a dentist. I picked his brain and asked him about my between the teeth cavity and he was so amazing & easy to talk to. I took his card and walked away. He came & found me when I was getting my cholesterol checked and upon hearing that I don't have dental insurance.. offered me a free exam & x-ray.  He was my second opinion and I was so hoping that I just needed a simple filing, but he told me that I need a root canal for starters and eventually a crown.

I got tears in my eyes.. I sucked it up so I would not cry in-front of the dentist. I have never had any serious dental work done. I am feeling very nervous. While I am not in any pain ( thank goodness)... the tooth is slightly bothering me... making itself known. This cavity was not visible on the panoramic x-ray, nor can it be seen when examining my mouth..it was a silent slow growing thing and since I went years without dental insurance... It just went unnoticed.

I am really nervous about this... but It is important that I get this done before serious pain starts and so I can save my tooth.  Liv had a root canal/pulpectomy and a silver cap at the age  of 6... she was so brave and if she can handle.. I can to. I am almost wanting to pay the $50  per hour for the nitrous oxide.


on the bright side the hygienist said my teeth were very clean and had very little plaque.


any words of wisdom.. no horror stories please.. I am resisting the urge to google this.





1 comment:

  1. I have a cap and had a root canal and they were nothing at all but minor discomfort and the annoyance of having to make several trips to the dentists offices. The root canal dentist was not the same dentist as my regular dentist.

    OK, one "horror" story which is really a humor story.

    I took my son to Disney on Ice and we got popcorn. There we are in the middle of this enormous stadium. It is pitch black and crammed full of people. When ... the temporary cap they put on my tooth just up and popped out.

    There I sat holding my son's coat, the box of popcorn, and this cap (which was on one of my top front teeth) not having a clue what to do. So I thought, "Gee wonder what happens if I just push it back up in there?" That's what I did and it stuck!, well enough to hold until I could get to the dentist again for him to look at it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment